Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pfft, forget the Pseudo-argyle...

... I can surely do the real thing!

So there we were shopping for more yarn at Joann Fabrics so I could make a scarf for each of my sisters. There it was! The prettiest variegated yarns we'd seen to date, green, brown, and red/orange. Debbie Mumm "Traditions" yarn made specially for Joann's.

I could already see the scarves in completion for both my sisters. Green outside, brown up the middle and the red/orange crisscrossing for one sister, and green / brown swapped for the other.

I sat down and made the pattern on MS Paint with the crisscrossing color three stitches wide to really bring out the color of the red/orange... I splayed out 5 skeins of yarn (again, so I wouldn't have to pass the outside color across the back and it would be nearly as presentable on the back as the front) and off I went.

As you can see, the color change in the variegation wasn't quite as quick as I expected and the red/orange didn't change all that much, but it was what it was and I wasn't going to stop.


Yes, that's me in a PINK bandana! My hair was in my face and it was the only one we had... that was quickly remedied by a trip to Wally World where pink was replaced with white. Note also the interesting way that this yarn didn't knit in the traditional V shape. All the left slanting parts of the V wound up lining up in a straight column while the right slanting parts of the V made a spiraling column. Interesting. I'm not sure why it happened, but it happened on both scarves and we decided that we liked it.
Once again. I'm REALLY "The Knit Snob" for turning out these two beauties!

1 comment:

  1. You really are the Knit Snob but I love you for it! Can't wait to see the afghan finished!!

    ReplyDelete