Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Knit Snob

So says my fiance!

As I sat watching TV with Pam knitting beside me, I decided that I might as well learn to knit too. I mean, so what if I'm a guy! It's something we can do together and think of all the presents I could make for my 5 nieces! So out of the blue (for her at least) I asked her to teach me how to knit.

When the shock finally left her she agreed. I've been hooked ever since.
For me, knitting has opened a creative side of my mathematical mind that I never thought existed.

It all started with a little test swatch in red yarn. Pam was astounded to see that within a few rows my tension was good and my stitches were uniform (I don't know what else she expected from one so anal as myself!) so the creation stage began!

Not knowing how to read all the knitting pattern abbreviations and not wanting to jump in head first without knowing how deep the waters were, I decided to knit a small scarf for my newest niece, Lorelai. Using just knits and pearls and the red yarn, I designed a subtle diamond pattern on some graph paper and got to work.


Proud of me as she was, she still dubbed me "The Knit Snob" as I was sharing my self designed scarf to a friend of ours. The name has stuck!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, baby! Even if you are a prodigy at knitting! (jealousy raging! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see a male knit. My grandfather knit our Aran jumpers when we were little. He was a fisherman and merchant seaman.

    My godfather who was a soldier did the most beautiful embroidery. I remember a cushion cover he did when he was in India back before my Mum was born.

    They both said it kept their hands busy and them out of trouble!

    ReplyDelete