Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Knitting in multiple colors

Five scarves done! What to do now...
I had the "brilliant" idea of using some left over beige wool and two of the variegated yarns from my nieces' scarves in order to make a special scarf for their Grandma (my Mom). Remembering the diamond pattern of my first scarf, I decided on a similar design for Mom's with the diamonds split into colored quadrants of the nieces remnants. Off I went...
HOLES! There are holes on every other row where the colors meet! Rrriiiiiipp!
I scoured the Internet including www.knittinghelp.com and completely overlooked or misunderstood the video on two color knitting... Not to worry, I devised a way of knitting the two meeting colors together into the same stitch then passing the color I didn't want to keep over the one that I did want to keep before knitting the next stitch. This way the holes didn't appear... Here is the final result.

What you can't see is that where the filled diamonds are, I added another skein of beige to keep from having to pass yarn across the back, thus the back looks nearly identical to the front and is wearable as a scarf! What you also can't see is that where I passed the unwanted colors over to keep the holes from appearing, it left the stitches puffed out in front... this was unacceptable!

So back to the Internet and www.knittinghelp.com, where I found the video on knitting multiple colors (again probably but I understood it this time).

I knit the whole thing again! The proper way there were no puffy stitches and because it was much faster and easier than my made up method, I knit every other diamond with color instead of skipping some in the middle of the scarf.

No pictures, but Mom just loved it and has showed it off to all her craft guilds.

Once again, my loving fiance dubbed me "The Knit Snob" for teaching myself to knit argyle (pseudo argyle as it was).

No comments:

Post a Comment